Thursday, July 24, 2008

Six questions for Chris Lyon

What are you working on now?

Currently I'm working with Luke Lee and Keith Shively on writing a feature length film about the end of the world. We are done with the basic story elements and are now hammering out the details of each scene. The difference in this story – which is certainly a genre film – over other apocalyptic movies is that it concentrates on the people and how they adapt to the situation at hand. Many apocalyptic films concentrate on what's causing the world to end- which really isn't that important.

What's the coolest part about your job?

As many filmmakers would say, it's all about telling the story. The idea that something didn't exist before but it might in your film does a number on those infatuated with storytelling and creating. This infatuation blossoms into a full on love affair when you truly find what you are trying to say with your project. Saying something is certainly a big factor in entertaining and changing an audience.

What is your main career goal?

To become a director – and by director I don't mean someone who goes around taking a directing job just to get by. I want to create stories that are entertaining AND meaningful – the kinds that win people's loyalty – not just the kinds that win awards. Certainly there are those out there that win awards and are never heard of again. I'd rather be the director of a cult classic or two than take home an Oscar. Don't get me wrong – I would love a huge audience, for people to accept/understand what I'm trying to say, AND win a little golden man at the same time. … But I'll settle for just getting to make films for now.

What single experience has proved most valuable?

The most influential experience I had was working on the set of "The Last Lullaby." Jeffrey Goodman, the director, and I had met on a few occasions before the movie went into production. We talked about the movie and what he was trying to doing with it which was awesome in itself. But to actually be on the set of a local filmmaker – with a real budget and a real crew – gave me that extra push to believe that someone with roots in the Port could do what I was trying to do with my life. A true inspiration.

In what movie or show can we see your work? Highlight a scene you like.

Several of pieces of work can be found here. If you mean real films that one may be able to see in theaters, you can check out "The Last Lullaby" when it releases. I can be seen (but not really) doing several things – like making the elevator doors seem like they are actually opening by moving scrims apart to cast shadows on the actors. Haha! I loved the opportunity to do that kind of thing off-camera. It's movie magic!

What's your favorite movie of all time and why?

"Jurassic Park." I was 7 when the movie released on home video and the first time I saw it I told my parents I wanted to make movies- right there on the spot. It's the first movie that really took me to another world – one that where seeing dinosaurs was truly possible – not just believable. It showed me that I could make things appear on screen that can't be seen on earth or don't even exist. That same mantra drives many of stories I try to tell today.

No comments: