Thursday, February 08, 2007

'Factory Girl' opens at the Magnolia in Dallas tomorrow

I was in Dallas yesterday reviewing "Factory Girl." Click here to read.

You'll be surprised to see how Shreveport is repackaged as New York and elsewhere. There's a funny moment when Guy Pearce (Warhol), standing atop The Factory, is framed in front of AmSouth Tower.

But everything else looks authentic. A screening at the Strand Theatre of "POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL" is especially convincing.

I noticed a few local faces, including East Bank Theatre head and local actor Richard Folmer playing a waiter. He gets short but funny lines.

But really ... is the sex between Miller and Christensen real? I seriously doubt it, but I'm sure someone will analyze the DVD frame-by-frame and say otherwise. It's a fairly tame scene compared to the rest of the movie. Expect to see a lot of drug use, a lots of emotional breakdowns, and lots and lots of eyeliner.

In Dallas, I know "Factory Girl" is opening tomorrow at the Magnolia (3699 McKinney Avenue), and not the Angelika, as I was previously told. Click here for showtimes. Call (214) 764-9106 to confirm.

If you haven't been to the Magnolia, this is a good chance to go to one the best modern movie theaters I've experienced. In additional to eating a bagel dog, you can drink booze in the theater.

Incidentally, I saw "Letters from Iwo Jima" there last night and should have brought in a tall one. It's incredibly hard to watch. (Much, much harder than "Flags of Our Fathers," and just as good.) Eastwood probably won't win Oscars for these flicks, but they will age very, very well.

Photo caption: Sienna Miller and Guy Pearce are Edie Sedgwick and Andy Warhol in George Hickenlooper's "Factory Girl." Photo courtesy The Weinstein Company. Photographer: Patti Perret.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You went to see some cool flicks in Dallas and didn't invite your loyal blog readers to come? Tsk, tsk, tsk!

Alexandyr Kent said...

I know, I know. But my blogger-buddy budget has yet to be approved. You were there in virtual spirit, though.

Anonymous said...

You are forgiven..... This time!