Monday, September 10, 2007

'E.T.! Stop hitting on my mom!' shouted Elliott


I'm a sucker for a bizarre meet-and-greet, and the double-screen Malco Theater in Hot Springs, Ark., has an out-of-this-world opportunity. On Nov. 9-10, actress Dee Wallace will be there for the 25th anniversary screening of "E.T. the Extra Terrestrial."

She was Elliott's mom! (BTW, is E.T. wearing an ascot in that pic? Nice.) Wallace also was in the original "The Hills Have Eyes" (1977) and "Cujo" (1983).

I wish I still had my hand-stitched, cotton-stuffed E.T. costume that my mom made for me. It had a red-tipped finger, three-towed slippers and superladysman powers.

Needless to say, I was the hit at my elementary school's Halloween party. I handed out Reese's Pieces, and chicks totally dug me as a portly, 2nd-grade alien. They were so transfixed by my googly-eyed charms that I won two cakes at the cake walk. (I couldn't see a damn thing out of that mask!)

If I still had that costume, I'd stretch myself into it and pedal a Huffy to Hot Springs. (Technically speaking, I'd have to ride in a basket, but I don't have any bike-riding friends named Elliott.)


As Chris Jay just reminded me, the 16th Annual Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival is creeping up, and it's got a pretty solid headliner this year: Chris Gore, who runs Film Threat.

Dates are Oct. 19-28, and it will feature 97 films. Documentarian Allison Bohl's "I Always Do My Collars First" made the cut. Congrats. May I remind you to press your ascot?

P.S. "I Always Do My Collars First" was recently featured on the nationally syndicated NPR music show, "American Routes." That's huge. Click here and scroll down to the Aug. 29-Sept. 4 program for details.

No comments: