Tuesday, July 14, 2009

UPDATED: 'Weather Girl' poised to smash 'Harry Potter 6' (No, really. I'm not lying.)

UPDATE 1:04 p.m.: Because of brisk ticket sales, RFC added a screening and filmmaker Q&A for 3:30 p.m. Sunday. RFC's Chris Jay will host.

"Weather Girl" is poised to push Harry Potter off his evil box-office throne and into the fiery pit of pop cultural oblivion, according to Robinson Film Center's Chris Jay. OK, I may be blatantly misrepresenting Mr. Jay's email, but I don't care.

How, oh how, can I fabricate this vicious claim? Mr. Jay just sent me a note noting the following:

"Weather Girl," a romantic comedy written and directed by Blayne Weaver, opens Friday at RFC for a weeklong run.

The 7:30 p.m. Friday screening? Sold out.

How about the 7:30 p.m. Saturday? 50 tickets left.

Why? During those screenings, I'll be hosting Q&As with Weaver and executive producer Brandon Barrera. Both are originally from Bossier City and now live and work in Los Angeles. Read more here.

Buy tickets here.

Are people coming to see me? Gosh, no. Weaver and Barrera? Golly, yes!

Take that Warner Bros! And heed my (I mean Mr. Jay's) groundless warning: Indie film will take you down one screen at time.

(I'll be issuing an apology shortly.)

PHOTO: While on the set of "Weather Girl," Tricia O'Kelley secretly plots the demise of the "Harry Potter" franchise. (Special to The Times)

No comments: