Tuesday, February 05, 2008

No headspins for ‘Little Al’

Last week, during a moment of self-aggrandized weakness, I unearthed a dangerous kernel from my past for my coworkers: I'm a recovering breakdancer.

Had you known me soon after "Breakin'" was released in theaters in 1984, I would have treated you to a moonwalk, a kneespin or, if necessary, the worm. I took, at the very least, four breakdancing classes. I carried sheets of cardboard. I wore yellow legwarmers and a headband. Nickname? The second grade ladies of my overactive imagination called out, "Go, Turbo! Go, Turbo! Go … go … go, Turbo!"

Unfortunately for you, my b-boy days expired when my mother banned me from performing the headspin during my fourth grade year. I quit in protest, never to breakdance again.

Don't let 23 years of my defiance stop you, however. Your chance is here.

Choreographer Darrin Henson, co-star of "Stomp the Yard" and BET's "Soul Food," will teach two master classes on hip-hop dancing on March 1. He is also behind the dance-instruction DVD, "Darrin's Dance Grooves." Sounds like a pretty cool opportunity to learn from someone who's super at what he does. Here are the details:

WHAT: Hip-hop master classes with Darrin Henson.
WHERE: Christian Dance Center, 2727 W. 70th St., Shreveport.
WHEN: March 1.
CLASS 1: 3 to 4:30 p.m. ages 6-12.
CLASS 2: 5 to 6:30 p.m., teens and adults.
COST: $35 in advance, $45 at the door.
NOTE: no dance experience is required.
TO REGISTER: contact Terry Jackson at (318) 470-2465 or danceterry1@yahoo.com.


PHOTO: Columbus Short (far right) as DJ and Chris Brown (right center) as Duron in "Stomp the Yard." (AP Photo/Screen Gems/Alfeo Dixon)

No comments: