Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tasha Smith hung up on Tyler Perry for me ... sort of

I gather you’ve heard that actress Tasha Smith is teaching a two-part acting class this weekend. If not, click here.

The actress is in northwest Louisiana (mostly Minden) shooting “Comeback” with Keke Palmer, Ice Cube and director Fred Durst.

Last Friday, Smith and I talked about her craft and career during a 15-minute interview. Right before we started, she was chatting on the phone with Tyler Perry, who has cast her in “Daddy’s Little Girls” and “Why Did I Get Married.” In the latter, Smith played a character named Angela.

When fans recognized Smith, conversation inevitably turns to that role.

“They say, ‘She just like me!’” she said. “’She just like my momma, she just like my auntie, or she just like my wife! Angela just like every black woman in the world!’”

Smith has been teaching acting workshops in L.A. and Atlanta for six years. She simply wants to offer others the kind of support she received when she was starting out. “If I didn’t have anyone encouraging that dream, I probably wouldn’t be on the set working with Ice Cube.”

IF YOU GO
WHAT:
Two-day acting class with Tasha Smith.
WHEN: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday (Feb. 23 and 24).
WHERE: Actors Café, 1401 Fairfield Ave. (formerly Bear's Café), Shreveport.
COST: $200, must prepay.
TO REGISTER: call (318) 573-0039 or e-mail Tara Duncil at tara@laactingworkshops.com or Jamie Baremore at jjbaremore@aol.com.
MORE INFO: http://www.tsaw.com/.

PHOTO: Tasha Smith on the set of "Comeback." (Tracy Bennett/The Weinstein Co.)

No comments: